A number of Japanese horses have been nominated for the Sydney Autumn Carnival’s major races. Both the Queen Elizabeth Stakes and Sydney Cup on 10th April are races that the Japanese have shown interest in.
In the Sydney Cup over 3200m Taisei Trail and Stay Foolish are nominated. The two are in no way the elite of Japanese stayers so locals are hardly shaking in their boots about the Sydney Cup.
The Queen Elizabeth Stakes worth A$2.3M over 2000m has attracted the names of Loves Only You, Stay Foolish, Hishi Iguazu and Salios. I can tell you already that Loves Only You will not be coming to the Queen Elizabeth Stakes on 10th April as a recent article on Japanese racing website netkeiba.com confirmed that connections are heading to the Dubai Sheema Classic (27/3/21) since her impressive G2 Kyoto Kinen win over the weekend. Stay Foolish was second in the 2200m Kyoto Kinen and it is probably his best result since a win in the G2 Kyoto Shinbun Hai as a three year old. Hishi Iguazu is something of a smokey. He has not won at Group 1 or Group 2 level but has won his last three starts including the G3 Nikkan Sports Sho (5/1/21). In his most recent win 5 year old Hishi Iguazu was four wide for half of the first turn and also raced wide turning into the home straight. In the video below you can watch Hishi Iguazu in the white with blue hoops wearing the number 9 saddle cloth.
There is no doubting the class of Salios though. The four year old was twice 2nd to Contrail the Japanese Triple Crown winner of 2020. In the Derby, Salios loomed up in the straight after travelling three wide for much of the race but super horse Contrail burned him off. To his credit Salios was clear of the 3rd placegetter by 2.25 lengths. Perhaps connections are hoping to avoid Contrail by coming to Australia. But Salios definitely has the class to give the Queen Elizabeth Stakes a shake.
Current betting markets for the Queen Elizabeth Stakes:
- Addeybb ($4.40 Ladbrokes, $4 TAB, $3.90 PlayUp)
- Verry Elleegant ($6 Ladbrokes, $6 TAB, $6 PlayUp)
- Salios ($8 Ladbrokes, $8 TAB, N/A PlayUp)
- Russian Camelot ($10 Ladbrokes, $9 TAB, $9 PlayUp)
- Arcadia Queen ($10 Ladbrokes, $13 TAB, $11 PlayUp)
- Colette ($11 Ladbrokes, $11 TAB, $11 PlayUp)
- Hishi Iguazu & Stay Foolish ($51 Ladbrokes, $51 TAB, N/A PlayUp)
Current betting markets for the Sydney Cup:
- Mount Popa ($15 Ladbrokes, $15 TAB, N/A PlayUp)
- The Chosen One ($19 Ladbrokes, $15 TAB, $15 PlayUp)
- Great House ($17 Ladbrokes, $15 TAB, N/A PlayUp)
- Colette ($17 Ladbrokes, $15 TAB, N/A PlayUp)
- Spirit Ridge ($17 Ladbrokes, $15 TAB, N/A PlayUp)